Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I am obsessed!!

So from the way I understand it, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder has many degrees and varieties. Well, my particular brand has Everything to do with CRAFTS!!

I have gone through so many different obsessions lately, first and always it has been scrapbooking and cardmaking, then I found glass etching and went absolutely crazy with it for about 3 weeks. Next I moved on to Plastic Canvas crafts, I really loved making cute little boxes for trinkets and stuff. I even have this cool idea in my head to make a plastic canvas play mat for my son to drive his cars on, and I can make 3-D buildings and things to attach onto it for him to re-arrange and stuff. Well, we will see if that ever happens. If you look back through my blog I have also gone a little crazy making dozens of trinket boxes, then handmade notebooks.

Right now I am loving to sew! Sewing. It is so weird to me that I have found such an interest in it now, I was taught how to sew when I was young. I even made myself some clothes like during my elementary and jr. high school days. I made a vest, skirt, and pajama pants, you know things like that. I learned originally through 4-H, but my mom is a very skilled seamstress and has always made me and my sisters things growing up. My mom made my Jr. Prom dress, and lots of our Halloween costumes. My younger sisters were even in a Renaissance Fair and she made them the most beautiful dresses for it!!

Well, despite all of my mother's efforts, I never really picked it up, until now. I found some adorable patterns at Joann's and thought I would give it another shot. Plus I recently got a new sewing machine for Christmas and have been so excited to give it a go. When JoAnn's has pattern sales I can't help myself! I got 20 new patterns this week for only $.99 each!! On my receipt I saved over $150 dollars!!

Okay, thanks for being patient through my ramblings. Here is what I made first, keeping in mind that I have since made 2 more little girls dresses and am cutting out my most recent pattern of a little boys' dress shirt, vest, and bowtie!!

The dresses are for my daughter EmmaLee and our friends' daughter Lucy. I made them in a 4T and 24mo/2T. They are basically the same dress, but I varied a few things.


I didn't think EmmaLee would like the sleeve elastic scrunched up on her arm, so I made hers with flowing sleeves, and a bow right on the front center. Lucy's has bows on the sleeves, and one on the bottom left front. Also not shown, on the back of the dresses they have 2 buttons, EmmaLee's are round and kinda big, and Lucy's are small and heart shaped.

Of course, they had to also have matching purses!! I can't believe how difficult it was to read the pattern for the purses!! I had a little help from mom with that, but then had a blast putting it all together. I love to use up every last bit of something, so it was a great way to use the small scraps of fabric.

3 comments:

Carole Beath said...

PRECIOUS sewing!....the dresses are darling. You've been to my blog so you know that I sew constantly, but I am now making quilts and totes. Anything but clothes because as a young girl I was so skinny, I HAD to make my clothes. I've sewn since I was about 13. Then I quit smoking, I gained weight and I quit sewing clothes for me but I had a Children's Line that I did for about 7 years. That was fun. I have 7 sewing machines and I use them all. My favs are my new Brother Innovis 2500, my Singer Curvey, my Brother 350D Disney. And I have a machine just for paper. Love your sewing...!!!

Rosemary said...

Oh, these are so pretty! I agree, a 5 year old wants arms free for doing stuff! My mom sewed for me and my siblings and I never appreciated it until I got older. I don't know how she did it.

I go craft crazy too, sometimes. With me, it's been scrapbooking, cardmaking, cross-stitching, some sewing, beading, crochet, knitting, etc. Not in any particular order either!

Anonymous said...

Just found your site. Love your sewing, and are amazed at some of the things your have done. Going hunting for your plastic canvas things , now. There are more people who look at blogs than you think. I don't always comment on them myself...but really enjoy them. Thanks for sharing your world.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails